Linking allows you to trade items between two games. First off, the prerequisits:
- 2 copies of FFTA.
- 2 Game Boy Advance consoles.
- 1 "link cable".
Other prerequisite, game-related:
- Both players wanting to link together, must have completed "Mission 3" first. Afterwards, read the "Linking" rumor in any pub in order to activate a new menu command (in your menu) that says "Link".
- It costs 5000 gold for each item-transfer via this linking system. (Team-missions, via linking, costs nothing)
Types of "Linking":
- Team, Co-op
- Race for most KO's
- Find secret characters
- Item Trading
You have the option to take on 3 missions in co-op mode.
Race for most KO's
You have the option to take on 3 missions, where the player that makes the most monster KO's wins a special item. The items are:
KnightSword, Sapere Aude, and Acacia Hat.
Finding secret characters:
This isn't necessarily "how to obtain secret characters", but more so how to go up against them. You are, of course, able to steal special items from these secret characters in these battles, which is what makes these 3 battles "worth while".
Ezel, Babus, and Ritz are among these that you will go up against.
This is where you will be able to trade things such as Items, Equipment, side-Characters (ie: Lini), and Law Cards among other things. No matter what the trade, it costs 5000 gold for each item transfer/trade.
Nono is Monteblanc's brother. When you get to the point in the game where you finally meet Nono, he will mention how he wants to make an airship into a shop. How applies to link-trading:
Every time you link up with another person, 5 random items are selected and placed for sale inside Nono's shop. To make this work, simply link with someone, act like you're going to trade *anything will do* with them, and then "cancel" out of it. This trigger's the 5 random item selection placed into Nono's shop list. Rare items, those that you only can get one of in the entire game (if "linking" did not exist), will never appear within Nono's shop.
Below is a chart that shows what the items are called, as far as what Nono calls them, vs what they actually are:
Other Tips, Hints, and Tricks:
DUPLICATION TRICK: (item dupe)
- Simply create 2 save files of the same file.
- Link with a friend, use save file1 to trade stuff with.
- When done trading, save over file1 with file2.
- Have your friend make 2 save files, and then they can trade items back to you without risk of "losing" items either.