Running/Great Chocobos are found near the city of Mideel.
Walking/Good Chocobos are found near the Gold Saucer.
Dashing/Wonderful Chocobos are found on the West side of the Northern Continent.
Carob Nuts can be stolen from a Red Dragon, on the West side of the Northern Continent, in the green areas.
Special Chocobo Abilities:
Yellow Chocobo - Goes only where your character can go.(* Items that are only availible in the Gold Saucer)
Green Chocobo - Can cross mountains.
Blue Chocobo - Can cross shallow water.
Black Chocobo - Can cross mountains and shallow water.
Gold Chocobo - Can go anywhere on the map, even the ocean.
Benefits of the Gold Chocobo:
- Reach the Circular Mountain Range with the Waterfall in it, put Vincent Valentine in your party, enter the cavern behind the Waterfall and get his Limit 4 and his Ultimate Weapon, Death Sentence. If they doesn't appear immediately, just pass by again later.
- Reach the uncharted island at the far Northeast of the map to get the legendary "Knights of the Round" Summoning Materia, the most damaging materia of the game. It does between 90,000 and 100,000 damage.
- Reach the cavern on a peninsula near Wutai and get the "Mime" Materia.
- Reach the cavern on a peninsula near Mideel and get the "Quadra Magic" Materia.
- Reach an island south of Cosmo Canyon where you can find the Cactuar, an ominous creature immune to everything except Bio and Ultima. You can morph it for a "Tetra-Elemental".
- Reach the Cave in the desert, near North Corel where you can find the HP<->MP Replace Materia.
- Reach the Old Forest, in the forest just uphill near Cosmo Canyon where you can find the "Slash-All" Materia that makes the Battle Arena a piece of cake.
To race your chocobo, you must go to the Gold Saucer. Find the 'Racing Square'.
These are some tricks you should use when you race:
- Hold R1, R2 and square at the same time. This makes you go faster and your stamina will not decrease.
- Hold R1, R2, L1 and L2 at the same time. This makes your stamina go up.
- On class C and B, all you really need to do is the 1st trick. On class A and S, it takes a bit of skill.
Gold Saucer - Chocobo Racing prizes:
Antarctic Wind - 20 GP, ranks B, A, and S.
Bolt Plume - 20 GP, any ranks.
*Cat's Bell - 500 GP, ranks A and S.
Chocobracelet - 400 GP, rank S.
Elixir - 200 GP, ranks B, A, and S.
Ether - 30 GP, ranks B and A.
Fire Fang - 20 GP, ranks B, A, and S.
Fire Veil - 50 GP, ranks A and S.
Hi-Potion - 15 GP, ranks C, B, and A.
Hero Drink - 15 GP, ranks B, A, and S.
Hyper - 10 GP, ranks C and B.
Ice Crystal - 50 GP, ranks B and A.
Megalixir - 300 GP, rank S.
Phoenix Down - 10 GP, any rank.
*Precious Watch - 300 GP, rank S.
*Sprint Shoes - 500 G, ranks A and S.
Swift Bolt - 50 GP, ranks A and S.
Tranquilizer - 10 GP, ranks C and B.
Turbo Ether - 150 GP, ranks B and S.
Gold Saucer - Materia Prizes:
Counter Attack - 300 GP, ranks A, and S.
*Enemy Away - 300 GP, ranks B, A, and S.
*Magic Counter - 500 GP ranks A and S.
*Sneak Attack - 300 GP, ranks A and S.
(* Items that are only availible in the Gold Saucer)